In 1884 the Evergreen Cemetery Board of Trustees resolved to build a cottage near the south entrance of the cemetery. Construction was completed in November of 1886. The cottage was rebuilt in 1907 in the Queen Anne style using a design by Theodore Valerius, a local architect. The Sexton House has also been referred to as the caretaker’s cottage and the rest house. It has been used for a variety of purposes including a place for visitors to gather, a former meeting place for the board of trustees, and for storage. The building is a local landmark because of its history and its Queen Anne style architecture.